Friday, March 23, 2007

Museum Visit Itinerary

Hi Everyone - I have posted my museum visit itinerary to my blog: http://bethsmuseumexperience.blogspot.com/. I may have to switch museums depending on availability of childcare, length of time I have available to travel, weather, etc.. but I will fit them all in!

I'm hoping to go to NYC next week. Since I guess I am going alone, I will probably go during the week sometime.

I am really not looking forward to going into the city all alone, in fact I am dreading it. I would rather go alone to ten museums in CT than alone to 1 in NYC. I'm not afraid or anything, it's just the trip...I've only been into NYC twice before and I can't imagine having no one to talk with or walk with me - dang! I might be able to coerce my niece into going with me...

I tried to plan my visits around exhibits I want to see, but I am open to anything!

P.S. Jerry - I wish the Guggenheim was on the list!!! There are a couple things there I would love to cover, since I have to go to NYC anyway! I have been there twice and love it.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your post! You are setting a good tone and pace for the others...! I am sure there are many folks who don't get to New York much... or ever! That is one of the main points of this class... To open up new experiences and to make this real... not justto have you sit in a classroom, take a few tests and call it a class...(then proceed to shake off much of what the class was about).

When I taught this class in person, I had some middle aged folks from New Haven who had never been to a museum, ever... nor had they been to NYC, ever!

One woman had never even been on a train... By the time she arrived at the Great Hall of the Met, her head was ready to explode with all of the new experiences she was having... (a subway ride too).

The reason I only put the Met down in NY is that I only want you to visit one museum/day. I want you to take your time and soak it all in. If you'd like to return to the city another time, that would be great! You may certainly substitute the Guggenheim for a CT museum. I just think it would be too much to do in one day.

Do take your Niece! You both will never forget that day.

Marc Mason said...

I know what you mean Beth... sometimes a ride up to New York (especially on the train) alone can be a daunting task. At least when you are driving you are occupied, but when you're a passenger, there's nothing to do!! I would suggest bringing a backpack with you, maybe throw a book in it along with a bottle of water and a small lunch. If it's a nice day out, there is a beautiful playground right outside the MET where you could have a nice lunch, or maybe eat in the MET itself. After seeing the prices for drinks, you'll be happy you brought your own! Good luck, and have a good time! --Marc